Sunday, November 6, 2011

Die Zauberflöte

Today I went and watched Mozart's "Die Zauberflöte." It's something that I grew up watching and always loved so much. I had never actually seen the live opera so when I saw a poster a few days ago I thought I have to get tickets and go see it! It was especially exciting since I hadn't watched it since I was little.
Something that I never realized about "Die Zauberflöte" are all the references to old religions. Especially the temple of Isis and Osiris. Tamino and Pamina have to pass several tests in order to be initiated and become part of the inner circle.
Here is an English version of one of the songs from the opera, "O Isis and Osiris:"



And here is the same song sung in its original language, German: 






I really think this is so amazing to listen to! I can definitely recommend the entire opera. Here some more bits and pieces I found on YouTube:





No comments:

Post a Comment